While writing an intro for this post, I can’t help but think how Corazon Aquino feels now (if ever she’s still alive) to be included in this prestigious list. I’m pretty sure that being a Person of the Year in Time Magazine is a tremendous achievement for her. But to be one of the 25 Most Powerful Women of the 20th Century is greater.
As an icon of democracy, the 11th and first lady president of the Philippines is now again recognized and have been included in this Time’s powerful list of women who have made significant impact to the world in the past century. I can say that this recognition is not just an achievement by Cory and her family but also for us, Filipinos especially women. This is truly inspiring.
Here’s a complete list of Time’s 25 Most Powerful Women of the 20th Century.
- Jane Addams (1860-1935)
- Corazon Aquino (1933-2009)
- Rachel Carson (1907-1964)
- Coco Chanel (1883-1971)
- Julia Child (1912-2004)
- Hillary Clinton (1947-Present)
- Marie Curie (1867-1934)
- Aretha Franklin (1942-Present)
- Indira Gandhi (1917-1984)
- Estée Lauder (1908-2004)
- Madonna (1958-Present)
- Margaret Mead (1901-1978)
- Golda Meir (1898-1978)
- Angela Merkel (1954-Present)
- Sandra Day O’Connor (1930-Present)
- Rosa Parks (1913-2005)
- Jiang Qing (1914-1991)
- Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962)
- Margaret Sanger (1879-1966)
- Gloria Steinem (1934-Present)
- Martha Stewart (1941-Present)
- Mother Teresa (1910-1997)
- Margaret Thatcher (1925-Present)
- Oprah Winfrey (1954-Present)
- Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
Here’s one of the videos created by Time Magazine for this feature.